- Ny-Alesund: a scientific community in Norway which serves as a watchtower for climate change in glaciers Pearce, 28
- Sustainable cities in Europe
- Bayview Quarry Village: planned sustainable development community in the Hayward area of the East Bay (CA)
- Beddington Zero Energy Development: an environmentally friendly housing development in Hackbridge, London, esp. anti-car Lovins, 112
- Dardesheim in Germany uses 100% renewable through a land-leasing wind program Lovins, 64-65
- Dongtan Eco-City: a planned eco-city on a Chinese island, originally scheduled to open in 2010 but as of 2016 not yet begun. Intended to be zero-emission and totally self-supporting
- Masdar City: a planned eco-city in Abu Dhabi, intended as a cleantech research and technology hub. Partially built.
- Red Hook Community Farm: a well-run community farm in New York City Klein, 364
- Vauban, Freiberg, Germany: sustainable neighborhood, no cars
- Village Homes in Davis, CA: first fully solar-powered housing development in America Louv, 213
[aggarwal]: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1040619013001917 "Aggarwal, Sonia and Harvey, Hal. 'Rethinking Energy Policy to Deliver a Clean Energy Future.' Energy Innovation, 2013."
[trabish-dynamic]: https://www.utilitydive.com/news/beyond-tou-is-more-dynamic-pricing-the-future-of-rate-design/447171/ "Trabish, Herman. 'Beyond ToU: Is more dynamic pricing the future of rate design?' Utility Dive, 2017."